What are the City Hall hours of Operation?
What can I deposit in the Afterhours drop box?
Water bill payments, tax payments, absentee voter ballots and correspondence for city employees may be deposited in the box.
Please note the following:
· Any payment received via the drop box after 4:00 p.m. will be posted on the next regular business day.
· Any tax payment that does not include the necessary penalty and interest will be returned via 1st class mail.
· Tax payments with due dates that fall on a Saturday or Sunday are required to be in the office before 5:00 p.m. the PRECEDING BUSINESS DAY and will be subject to penalty and interest if deposited in the drop box AFTER 4:00 p.m.
· PLEASE DO NOT DEPOSIT CASH IN DROP BOX. CHECK PAYMENTS ONLY.
Where do I pay a parking ticket?
If paying a ticket in person, it must be paid at the Clerk/Treasurer's Office located at 335 S. Warren Street. Office hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. We accept payment in the form of cash, checks or money order. We are not able to accept credit or debit cards.
How do I report a broken street light?
- A specific streetlight location (i.e., the nearest cross roads, nearby business, etc.)
- Whether the pole is wooden or metal
- The streetlight pole number (Metal poles: number located base. Wood poles: number located approximately 8' up pole.)
- Details about the outage (i.e. Light off during the night, light turns on and off at night, light stays on during the day, etc.)
In cases where a pole has been knocked down or any other emergency, please call Detroit Edison at 1 (800) 477-4747.
How do I request a final water bill?
As soon as you know the date of your move, call Phyllis Popravsky at (248) 437-2326 to schedule a final water meter reading.
When are property taxes due?
I have a South Lyon mailing address, do I live in the City Of South Lyon?
Not necessarily. The City of South Lyon is approximately 3.5 square miles. The City boundaries are roughly Dixboro Road to the west, Martindale Road to the east, and approximately just north of Eleven Mile to the north and Nine Mile to the south. The South Lyon Post Office also services the four surrounding Townships - Lyon, Green Oak, Salem, and Northfield. If you have a South Lyon mailing address and are not within the City limits, your address will fall within the jurisdiction of one of these Townships - Green Oak, Lyon, Salem or Northfield.
Where do I register to vote?
You can register to vote at the City Clerk's office at City Hall or at any Secretary of State's office. To register to vote, you must be a U. S. citizen, at least 18 years old by election day and a resident of South Lyon. You must register at least 30 days before the election in which you intend to vote. For more information on voting please visit Publius.org.
What forms of payment does the City accept?
We accept payment in the form of credit/debit cards, cash, checks e-checks or money order. E-check payments are only available through our phone or web payment portal.
When is the City-wide garage sale?
Each year the City sponsors a City-wide garage sale. All residents may participate in this sale without a garage sale permit. This year, 2016, the City-wide Garage Sale runs from Thursday, May 19th through Sunday, May 22nd. Leftover and unwanted items (large & small) can be put out at the curb on your regularly scheduled trash pick up day.
How do I get a new recycling bin?
We do not have the resources to drop off recycling bins at residences, you will need to come to either the DPW yard or City Hall to pick one up.
Frequently Requested Phone Numbers
Fire: (248) 437-2616
DPW: (248) 437-6914
Police: 248-437-1773 (Non-emergency number)
Water Plant: (248) 437-4006
Water (Billing): (248) 437-2326