How to register your hand gun
- Handgun Pistol Record - If you have a CPL, you can pick up a pistol sales record form at our station or print one off at https://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/ri-060_523727_7.pdf. If you do not have a CPL and are purchasing from an FFL dealer (Cabala's, Huron Valley Guns, etc) they will provide you with a purchase permit that you will then have to turn into your local police department within 10 days
- If you are purchasing a pistol from a private seller, you do not have a CPL and you live inside the city limits of South Lyon, come to our station with your ID to obtain a permit to purchase a pistol. We will do a background check and notarize the license for you.
- No safety inspection is required due to the changes in the Gun Laws as of January 8, 2009.
How to obtain or renew a CPL
- The South Lyon Police Department offers free firearm storage service for South Lyon residents. We encourage you to use our service for long term storage or even during a vacation. Bring in your weapon, fill out a simple form, and your gun will be safe and secure. Check any or all of your firearms in and out as often as you wish.
- More information is available by calling the police station Monday through Thursday, 9:00 AM through 5:00 PM.
Individuals will need to obtain a permit to purchase the firearm. In place of the seller's signature, write the word "deceased" with the name (of the deceased) printed next to it as seller's name.
This can be done on-line at the Michigan State Police website with a credit card.
The Michigan Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) provides all persons, except those incarcerated in correctional facilities, with access to public records.
Requests to inspect or receive records must be submitted in writing, and must describe the requested records with enough detail that we can identify them.
You will receive a prompt written response to your request, either granting your request or explaining why all or part of your request cannot be granted.
A fee will be charged for processing your request, which must be paid in advance. For more information, click here.
Direct all SIGNED FOIA requests to:
Lt. Douglas Baaki
219 Whipple Street
South Lyon, Michigan 48178